Monday, October 23, 2006

Diwali Sweets - few household preparations


Since my childhood I have always craved for diwali, besides fireworks it's 'faral' the speciality food prepared in every household ( which differs from state to state and region to region) after the first holy bath today it is formality to start the new year ( samwat) with a sweets and spicy delicacies.... More..

The plate in picture above is what, I started my day with... ( recepie's hyperlinked)

1. Top left in a bowl is 'Chivda',made out of rice flakes and many ingredients like nuts, dried coconut etc...
2. Then the spherical ones are laddo or ladoo...made of three different varieties, besan, rava and bundi..
3. Followed by "Chakli" the round one made up out of five different lentils and pulses with spicy masala deep fried till it becomes crispy...
4. The flat round sweet is 'Anarasa', a delicious sweet
5. The white cubes of 'Soan Papdi' very sweet preparation of besan and sugar...
6. In the center is 'Shev' made up of besan with spices to balance out the combinations...

Let me put up a disclaimer here, these are not the all sweets shown, there are quite a few left...as usual with the fast world and less time it is becoming challenging to prepare all of them at home...the choices I had when I was a child were quite large compared to the one's I have today...still 'Diwali' will offer me with something that I can relate with even today...

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

tr3nta Mon Oct 23, 05:58:00 PM GMT+5:30  

nice photos, cool blog...
liked it...

Ineke Mon Oct 23, 06:09:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Eet smakelijk! Enjoy your meal!

Anonymous Mon Oct 23, 07:29:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Happy belated Diwali!

on the day, me and sis. usually wait for friends or neighbours to present us a platter of the same. Of course, we sweep up all the goodies within minutes ..yum!

Carol E. Mon Oct 23, 10:57:00 PM GMT+5:30  

So interesting to learn about different traditions and foods. Thanks for explaining all of this!

Anonymous Mon Oct 23, 11:46:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Looks really good. Happy Eid!


-Mari

Anonymous Mon Oct 23, 11:49:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Oops, sorry it's Eid for me today.
Hope you had a happy Diwali!
I helped celebrate with some friends from India last Friday night.

Curly Tue Oct 24, 04:33:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Happy samwat Rajesh, they look really tempting!

Curly's Photoshop

Unknown Tue Oct 24, 09:16:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Thanks...keeps me going!

Reflex Wed Oct 25, 04:08:00 PM GMT+5:30  

I really like indian cuisine :)